Experienced software developer with significant strengths in back-end, web, and mobile development. Entrepreneur with experience setting up a company, shipping products, marketing to customers, and providing end-user support. Published developer on the iOS App Store.
Mobile Development - Have deployed multiple apps across iOS and Android platforms for phones and tablets. Experienced in both native (iOS, Android) and cross-platform HTML (Sencha Touch, JQuery Mobile) development.
Rassling Cats Software
Founder / CEO
Rassling Cats Software is my freelance consulting and mobile games development shop.
- Personally developed Flake Escape, a casual game for iOS available on the App Store. Wrote a full game engine in C++ that abstracted graphics, sounds, and physics away from game logic. Organized art development, sound design, testing, and deployment.
Director of Software Engineering
Oct. 2011–Nov. 2012
Hired and managed a team of five top-class engineers responsible for product development, technology research, and back-end engineering improvements. As an active developer on the team, adopted and improved a pre-existing codebase written in Grails and CCXML. Delivered features and reliability improvements that helped bring on many new customers.
- Managed development and deployment of call center product, enabling significant ARPU growth. During a tight release schedule, oversaw complete rework of phone call engine to enable new features and bring future development time down significantly.
- Developed an HTML-based cross-platform (iPhone and Android) mobile app for checking call activity and placing outbound calls. Incorporated technologies like Backbone.js, PhoneGap, and JQuery Mobile.
- Developed Sencha Touch front-end and Grails back-end of an iPad app for healthcare data entry. Oversaw release and provided on-site support to health care employees who were the primary users.
- Implemented agile software development and monitoring process using Github, Pivotal Tracker, JIRA, HipChat, Hubot, Jenkins, and Graphite. Improved developer onboarding process through documentation and tools like Vagrant, bringing setup time down from two days to a few hours.
- Managed development consulting efforts, including requirements gathering, tool selection, development, delivery, and post-deployment support. All consulting projects were delivered successfully and resulted in additional business.
Aug. 2008–Oct. 2011
As part of a four-person development team, created an industry-leading Display-Side Platform that was later acquired by Videology. Helped take an existing page contextualization service and integrate it into a real-time bidding system to maximize value for advertisers. Using Java, Tomcat, Spring, and Hibernate, built an admin web interface, ad-serving system, and advertiser analytics platform.
- Personally built a cloud-based server-side cookie store responsible for retrieving advertising data for hundreds of millions of users. Performed technology selection and evaluation, learning about most popular NoSQL systems and becoming an expert on Redis. Implemented latency monitoring and tuned connection settings, as all requests had to return in less than ten milliseconds. The system ended up handling two billion requests per day at a peak rate of 25000 requests per second.
- Implemented a Spring MVC web UI for administering campaigns that was used every day by the ad operations team, managing millions of dollars worth of advertising.
- Managed numerous real-time bidding (RTB) integrations responsible for the majority of advertising spending. Dealt with connection and latency issues to fit into 50 millisecond response time constraints while operating in a flexible cloud environment.
Principal Software Engineer
Jun. 2006–Aug. 2008
Developed and maintained a J2EE system for managing automated phone calls over the web. Evaluated products and managed vendor relations for two primary components. Software development process included SCRUM, test driven development, code coverage, and continuous integration.
- Personally re-architected Virtual Call Center platform to make the code modular, unit-testable, and incorporate design patterns. The change significantly reduced development time of a major upgrade.
- Managed Computer Telephony Integration (CTI) product that integrated with Salesforce.com. Collected feedback from users, developed features, coordinated timelines with customers, and organized personnel to release new versions.
- Led evaluation of VoiceGenie Call Platform to replace an outdated current platform. Was primary POC with the vendor and provided final purchase decision to management.
College Co-Op Senior
Jun. 2004–Jan. 2006
Assisted in migrating an in-house middleware to a J2EE architecture. Supported implementation of large-scale JMS infrastructure for communication of real-time air traffic data. Built prototype GUI applications to demonstrate use of the upgraded system.
- Independently wrote two complex Java Swing GUI systems for data display and management, one of which was shown at a national air traffic management conference.
- Assisted in writing adapters to link legacy systems using JMS.
University of Maryland
College Park, MD
Dual Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and Mathematics
INTERESTS AND HOBBIES